Monday, February 18, 2008

The Internet is an Amazing Thing


I can honestly say that I don't know what I'd do without the Internet.

I use the Internet for:
homework/paper/research
communication-blogs, news, emails
games
ideas-lesson plans, art activities
pictures
weather
shopping

I've also used the Internet to verify questions for schoolwork and for fun (i.e. "was that the guy in that other movie"). The Internet is a wonderful place to support my hypothesis or defend my answer, but I've never used the internet to prove a teacher wrong. Well, I was on Facebook today when I happened upon a new group titled, 10,000,000 strong for Chris beating his statistics teacher's expectations
The description reads:
Chris' statistics teacher said it would be impossible for him to contact 10,000,000 people for a sample group... too bad she didn't think he'd actually try.

Currently the group has 717 members. I wonder if he'll actually succeed...and if he does how long will it take? As far as I can tell, this group was started Feb. 13th around 8pm, so about 5 days. (5 x 24) Which is 120 hours. (717/120) That's about 6 members an hour. (6 x 24) 144 members a day... (10,000,000/144) so it would take him 69,444 days to get to 10 million. (69,444/365) 190 years...Good luck Chris!

1 comment:

Unlimited said...

He's in it for the long haul.

I was about to work it out when I saw your final paragraph.